Friday, January 29, 2010

Heat Exchanger? What's a Heat Exchanger??



Furnaces. Can't live with them, can't fix 'em with a sawz-all! This week's fun began last week with the final and utter demise of one of the furnaces in one of our rentals. I'll call it "Joy" street. Names of course must be changed and all of that.
So apparently, the heat exchanger on this furnace cracked. Then the blower motor stopped running altogether. Add in the pilot light that refused to stay lit, and you have an equation with two darned chilly and not terribly happy residents. Can't say I blame 'em.
What's a heat exchanger, I asked. "You look in that furnace and see that thing that's kind of running this way on it? That's the heat exchanger." Frighteningly, I understood what he meant when my HVAC guy said that.
Apparently it's a bad thing when they crack.
Wikipedia says, "A heat exchanger is a device built for efficient heat transfer from one medium to another." I think that's just amazingly helpful. Yeah.
I went back to my HVAC guy. What happens when it cracks? "Flames will roll out and the sensor will kick it off." Awesome. Just what my residents need.
So how old IS that Magic Chef furnace anyway? "Mmm, pretty old?" "Ancient history?"
Apparently you can't get parts for them outside of a New York street vendor on some very interesting chemicals.
So, Many Thanks to Dave and Bob from the Ken Maddox company for installing my furnace at "Joy" Street.
And if you're in the Indy area and need a new furnace, you can give them a call at 317-787-1354. They rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog